Sunday, September 12, 2010

Running and the sleeping baby

My baby used to be a pretty good sleeper. From 3-5 months, she woke only once during the night for a feed, sometime between 3-5am. She would fall back to sleep again immediately and I could go back to sleep for a few hours. With this type of schedule, I could run after she went to sleep for the night, or early in the morning. Now, at 6 months, she is up several times a night (most likely teething), and it is harder to pick the best time to run. Yes, my DH could attend to her if she wakes up while I am running, but the reality is that my breastfed baby wants her mommy to soothe her. In addition, I find it difficult to enjoy my run if I am worried that she will wake up and need me. Yes, I realize that I have to learn to let it go. It's hard to do as a first-time mommy.

I have only run a few times since my 10k race two weeks ago, and none of the runs have been good. I've been fighting a cold for over a week, and I think it's in my chest now. On a positive note, I am almost back to my pre-pregnancy weight...only 3lbs to go! I registered for the Angus Glen 10k on November 7th. It is good motivation to keep running, but without the added pressure of increasing my distance.

2 comments:

spyder jackets said...

That sounds so sad...But hang in there..It won't last for a long time..After the teething period I know you can get back to running...

Mandie said...

Hi, Nice post, I came across your site and wasn’t able to get an email address to contact you. Would you please consider adding a link to my website on your page. Please email me back.

Thanks!

Mandie Hayes
mandie.hayes10@gmail.com