Saturday, February 04, 2006

Fueled by Starbucks?


A good chunk of my grad school scholarship money was spent at Starbucks. I would go there every day, sometimes twice a day, and gulp down grande mochas and vanilla lattes without much thought. All I was thinking about was the much needed caffeine. Now that I am more weight conscious, I shudder at the thought of what those daily drinks were doing to my body. For example, a grande vanilla latte is 320 calories. A grande mocha with whip is 400 calories. That's more calories than I eat for breakfast these days. Now I stick to tall soy lattes (120 calories) or when I'm being really good, tall americanos (10 calories). Many might argue that I should be limiting my caffiene intake, but let's face it...I need my caffeine.

So last night, Tony and I went to Starbucks (he is an addict as well). He had a coupon for a free drink...any drink...so he chose a triple venti white chocolate mocha. I cringed and had visions of him having a heart attack. That drink is 630 calories, 29 grams of fat. By comparison, a big mac is 540 calories, 29 grams of fat. He only drank about half of it, thankfully...and just before tossing it out, lifted the lid to see the swirls of oil floating in it. Shudder.

Unfortunately, today was a rest day for both of us so he did not work off those extra calories...16k LSD for me and a 30 min treadmill run for him tomorrow :)

2 comments:

Cliff said...

Ouch. That's a lot of calorie. My flaxseed bagel, each one has 350 calories. What Tony was drinking is equivalent to what i eat every morning (two bagel plus PB).

If you want to lose weight, there is only one guy I know that is doing it right. http://bostondiet.blogspot.com/

He is very good at controlling his calorie intake. His philosphy is simple. Consume less calories than expend calories.

G said...

I always stuck with the "grande dark" with 2% milk..... most of the time...