Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Energy in = Energy out

I've been wondering why I've been feeling so tired and sore the past couple of days. My workout today felt hard, even though it was "only" 5 km. And, I was ravenously hungry all day today and yesterday. Then, the lightbulb went on. I've run or done some other cardio 5 times in the past 6 days, and I've been trying to limit my calorie intake. Duh...energy in = energy out! Time to take a rest day.

For the runs that I've done since my lactate test, I tried to keep my HR in Zone 2. It hasn't been easy. At the beginning of the run, it's hard to get my HR above 150. Towards the end of the run, it's hard to keep it below 160. I'm going to try to keep all of my runs in this zone for the next while. In 2 weeks, I will start adding a speed workout once a week to prep for the Chilly half. Okay, so if I want to run a 2:00 half marathon, that is a pace of 5:42/km...or 6.6 mph in treadmill-speak. Yikes! I don't think that I will be able to do that in 3 months. Let's revise my goal time to 2:05...that means 5:56/km and 6.3 mph on the treadmill. That, I think I can do. Time to work the training plan ;)

1 comment:

Cliff said...

Anner,

I am doing all my runs below 160.

It is so easy to bump myself from low 150s to high 150s without being conscious of it (love the HRM).

I got to do this myself as well.but go to the treadmill and use your HRM to see your pace at which HR. Then keep running in zone 2. A month or so later, do the same measure..if you run faster w/ lower HR (good sign. That means your aerobic capacitiy has improved.