Tuesday, December 12, 2006

12 weeks to goal race

12 week countdown to my next goal race begins today! Well, it should have began yesterday...but Monday is usually a rest day for me :) I am now in training mode for the Chilly Half Marathon on March 4. I am loosely following Hal Higdon's Intermediate Half Marathon Training. This week calls for 5x400m intervals and a 5 mile LSD, with 3 3-mile runs thrown in. I prefer to keep my runs to 4x per week, so I will replace one of the 3-mile runs with cross-training. Also, I am already running longer LSD's than called for (I did 12 km, or a little over 7 miles, on Sunday). I will try to keep all of the runs except for the once-a-week speed workouts with my HR in zone 2.

Today, I did my first interval workout. I have been feeling "off" for the past week or so...not full-blown sick, but quite fatigued on some days. Today was one of those days, so I only did 4x400m intervals at 6.3 mph (my goal pace for Chilly). With the warm-up, recovery intervals, and cool-down, I ran 5 km total. Not a bad start, I guess. I need to get myself more excited about training...I'm feeling a little blah about running these days. It may be because I'm doing all of my runs except my LSD on the treadmill these days. At least the iPod makes the time go faster :)

No comments: