Sunday, August 31, 2008

OWTS Super Sprint Du Race Report

Race: OWTS Super sprint du (2.5k/10k/2.5k)

I always thought that I would never run ATB, the Vancouver marathon, or do a du/tri. I am 3 for 3 at proving myself wrong this year...haha :)

My running still hasn't been up to snuff since the spring, but I figured that this would be a fun event and I wanted to see what I could do at my current fitness level.

Me and Suzi in the transition


Run #1 - started off with a steep hill. This was a omen of things to come on this course :(. I tried to run semi-aggresively, knowing that I had to save energy for the rest of the race.
Run 1 - 14:06 (5:39/km) 22/54

The steep hill


Transition #1 - I took my time.

Heading out on the bike

Bike - I haven't mastered using the bottle holder...I usually end up dropping the bottle when I try to put it back. So, I wore my fuel belt with 2 small bottles of water. This worked fine on my training rides, but the velcro gave early into the bike and it popped off my waist. I caught it, but had to pull off into a driveway to put it back on (I was fortunate that it happened in a place where I could pull over). I know that I am slow on the bike, but I was quite frustrated that so many people were passing me! I passed a few people on the uphills later, but I got blown past a couple of times on the downhills.

Coming in from the bike


Transition #2 - I got confused and put Suzi on the wrong rack :oops: . At least I remembered to take my helmet off!
T1+bike+T2 - 29:17 (20.5 kph) 34/54

Leaving the transition, on my way for run #2

Run #2 - started off slowly. My legs felt like lead, and that nasty hill was there again. I walked up the hill (but so did everyone else around me) and eventually found my running legs. I started passing people. I ran all the way up evil hill #2 and made a good surge to the finish line!
Run 2 - 15:33 (6:13/km) 22/54

Evil hill #2


Official time 58:55, 26/54 overall, 10/21 in AG

It was fun :D But it was hard work. I felt like I was out there MUCH longer than an hour...kind of felt more like a half marathon effort! I guess it's because I'm not used to biking. I need more practice on that, for sure!


Melanie: Sorry, I didn't see your comment until now! I was kind of avoiding my own blog for the past few weeks :P. I'm sorry to hear about your injury!!!

6 comments:

Mel-2nd Chances said...

hi!!! Congrats on racing today! I saw you and think i gave you your medal!!! Maybe. Here's the funny thing.... i remember seeing you in your orange shirt, and ALMOST asked if you were you... but chickened out, thinking i'd look like a moron. I decided to volunteer today :) Next year.... :)

Marci said...

Great job!! You did amazing. Thanks for the pictures. I will have to try a duo some time!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

LOL... i know... DUMB. but i only had the pic from your blog to go on... and i wasn't sure if you had signed up yet or not... so i figured my mind was playing tricks on me. i was checking ankles for any missing timing chips, etc. lol next time, i swear! :)

Anonymous said...

That is quite a feat! Congrats!

Marlene said...

Congrats Anners!!! You did AWESOME!! Love the pics. And that hill - ew! Great pace on your runs and a solid middle-of-the-pack finish. You should be proud.

So, what's next? Oh, a wedding? :)

Lily on the Road said...

Good JOB, what a great photo of you running with your bike, both feet are off the ground, awesome shot...