Sunday, November 02, 2008

Angus Glen 10k Race Report - Just Run

I ran an unexpected PB on this course last year, and booked my wedding there a few weeks later. Happy happy memories are what drove me to sign up this year, even though I wasn't in shape (or so I thought). My training over the past few months has been rather dismal, with mileage totals of 51k in September and 71k in October. I also overindulged during my 2 weeks in Hawaii, so I wasn't expecting to run as well as I did last year.

My pre-race prediciton: 58min.

I saw my friend Jill before the race and asked her if she was ready (she was running the HalfM). She shrugged and said, "I'm just going to run."

Just Run. Thanks Jill. That got me through the race.

1k - Everyone was zipping past me. Should I speed up? No no...just run.

2-3k - I saw Jill's hubby just ahead of me. Is that burning in my calves? Shhh, don't worry about it. Just run.

4k - Passed Jill's hubby (he stayed close behind me, though!!)

5-7k - Slight incline. Can I hold my pace? I feel like I'm going to puke. Shhh. Just run.

8-9k - I can't feel my legs. They're numb. Are they still moving? Just go and try not to fall down.

finish - I can see the finish line. Go for it. But I feel like I'm going to pass out. WHAT is that number on the clock?? Are you kidding me???

Official time: 54:47
Chip time: 54:26
Age group: 17/49

I actually ran the whole way, which I have never done in a 10k race...usually I use the aid stations and walk for a few seconds to get my breathing under control. My time for this race last year (and my PB) was 54:24. So, despite my lack of training, I only missed my PB by 2 seconds.

Makes me wonder what I could have done if I had trained...!
I'm starting to like the 10k distance :)

7 comments:

Marlene said...

Congratulations!! Sounds like you ran a strong race. I love the "Just run" - I had to use something like that a few times today.

Awesome time!!!

Road Dog Renate said...

Congratulations on an awesome run! I was at Angus Glen both this year and last year and have had a PB both times on this course. Loveeeeeeeeeee it.

Cliff said...

Hey Anners,

congrats..u know i use to walk at the aid station too..but slowly i am getting us to run...grab water.and run and drink...

keep the feet moving :)..i think this comes with experience. More exp = more comfy with doing this....

chilly day for a good race!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

congrats on your PB!!! Awesome run! i like that.... shhh just run. :D

Marci said...

Congrats on a fast race, and with no training! Well done!

Anonymous said...

Awesome!!!!!

Sonia said...

I'm telling you Ann, this low key training plan and racing hard is working for you!! Awesome result!