Sunday, February 15, 2009

An interesting swim

I had an interesting swim today. I went to a different pool because they had an evening session. I could not wake up for a morning swim after the Valentine's Day wine *oops*. I'm not sure what most people would consider to be crowded, but there were probably at least 10 people in each of the 3 lanes of the 25m pool. It made me quite uncomfortable...I'm used to only sharing with a few people. Anyway, I started in the "medium" lane with my board...100m of kicking, then I put it to the side and started my front crawl. One of the lifeguards took it away, so I did the rest of my swim without it...! After about 500m of bumping into people and getting frustrated, I moved to the "fast" lane. And continued for another 500m. Yep, 1000m total, in 36ish minutes :) I felt like I had an "aha!" moment today. I was actually swimming somewhat continuously...I still took a little break at the end of most lengths, but only 2-3sec instead of 10-15sec. I felt pretty good! But I don't want to go back for the evening session again. I will have to suck it up and get up early.

So, my week went like this:

Tues - 5.25km easy treadmill run 7:07/km
Wed - 45min trainer ride
Fri - 700m swim, ~30min
Sat - 10k LSD outside :D 6:47/km
Sun - 1000m swim, ~36min

I missed a brick workout, but I feel pretty good about my week. The 10k LSD surprised me a lot...I haven't run more than 5.5k since December, and haven't run outside at all in 2 months. The run felt good, and my pace was pretty decent for an LSD. I think I might have to throw a bit of faster running into my week though...but where? Honestly, I don't know how triathletes can fit all of their workouts in!

2 comments:

Lesley said...

"And continued for another 500m. Yep, 1000m total, in 36ish minutes :) I felt like I had an "aha!" moment today. I was actually swimming somewhat continuously"

That is amazing! I am not sure I could swim with all those people without feeling overwhelmed. However I guess it gets you used to somewhat race conditions.

Keep up the good work. I am just about to to tackle the trying to make a schedule part of tri training.

Cliff said...

Triathletes discovered there is 25 hr day :P..

congrats on swimming 1 km. You should be very proud of yourself..i hope you are treating yourself by munching on valentine chocolate..

u know what they say..chocolate makes you go faster..(ok they don't say that.but i say it :) )