Monday, November 28, 2005

Last one standing

One of the perks of my job is that I have access to a military gym. The gym has high quality equipment and is very well maintained...which is more than I can say for my condo's gym (the treadmills always break). I go there after work some days. There are 5 treadmills and I have never had to wait for one. This afternoon, I got on one of the treadmills and they quickly filled up. In my head, I imagined that I was trying to outrun the other treadmill runners. Who would be the last one standing?? Of course my little game was ridiculous, because everyone has a different intention when they get on the treadmill. Not everyone can tolerate the utter boredom of running in one spot for an hour like I can. People sometimes ask me, "doesn't it get boring running for so long?" Sometimes it does. But usually, it doesn't. My wandering brain keeps me occupied. 5 treadmill runners running side-by-side. One by one, they slow down, walk, and stop. 3 of the runners quit within a few minutes of each other. I waited for the final person to quit...waited...waited...my treadmill was at 45 min. I was only planning to do an hour...how long was she planning to run?? Finally, she slowed down and quit. And I was the last one standing. I silently congratulated myself for winning my own imaginary game. 8 km at a gentle pace, in 57:42.

Am I the only one who plays games in my head and makes up stories when they are running?

1 comment:

Cliff said...

Maybe u should start a treadmill race in the military gym :)