Sunday, June 08, 2008

I've been tagged...

Okay, Marci has tagged me. I like games, so here we go!

1. How would you describe your running 10 years ago?
I wasn't a runner 10 years ago. I had just finished my 2nd year of university, I had stopped figure skating, and I was getting fatter by the minute!

2. What is your best and worst run/race experience?
I am very competitive. I train for a goal, but in reality, I am not happy if I meet my goal. I have to SMASH my goal in order to make myself happy. That said, I think that my best race was one that I did when I felt that I was undertrained. It was the Angus Glen 10k in November 2007. I was coming off a disappointing Toronto Waterfront half (see below for worst race experience), and I had not trained very much in the time in between. I had been sick on and off leading up to the race as well. As I warmed up, I decided that I would try my best to run the 10k in under an hour. Well, I bolted off the start line and finished in well under 60min...in fact, I ran a personal best of 54:24 :) I had a big smile on my face for at least 2 days after that!

Worst race was the Toronto Waterfront half in 2007. I trained very hard for this race, doing weekly tempo runs and intervals, running 5-6 times a week. It was too aggressive for my fitness level, and I probably burned myself out. On race day, I was on pace for about a 2:03 finish (not far off my 2:00 goal), but I started to get terrible calf cramps at the 18k mark. The constant twitching forced me to slow down to a painful shuffle, and I limped across the finish line in 2:10. I would have been happy with that time a year ago, but after training so hard, it was a huge disappointment.

3. Why do you run?
I love the feeling of doing something that I thought I could never do (i.e. run marathons).
It keeps my body and mind healthy. I'm quite sure that I would be battling depression had I not found my love for this sport.
Because I can.

4. What is the best or worst piece of advice you've been given about running?
Best - You can't PB every race.
Worst - You shouldn't run...you'll ruin your knees and your breasts will sag (unsolicited advice from non-runners).

5. Tell us something surprising about yourself that not many people would know.
I'm supposed to give away my secrets on a public website?? Haha. Okay, let's see. One of my favourite movies is Legally Blonde. Don't ask, it just makes me happy for some reason!

I'm not going to tag 5 people. I'm only going to tag Marlene.

2 comments:

Marlene said...

Thanks for the tag!

I'll answer these questions on my blog later today and Mud Run report & pics coming soon too. :)

Happy to see you running again and good effort in the pool.

Cliff said...

Dang, my breast will sag...